Ranked as a “Highly Regarded Lawyer” in Project Development, Project Finance and Mergers & Acquisitions.
IFLR1000 31st Edition August 2021
Dolapo Kukoyi is the Managing Partner at Detail Commercial Solicitors and leads the firm’s Energy, Infrastructure & Power Practice. She is one of the leading lawyers in Nigeria’s Power sector with extensive experience advising clients in the private sector, government agencies and regulators on a wide range of complex transactions. “She stands out as perhaps the most knowledgeable lawyer in the country on the Nigerian power industry.” Chambers & Partners, global commentary 2019.
Dolapo combines her strong legal background and industry knowledge to add value to each transaction. Her attention to the intricacies of every brief sets her apart as a pillar of support to clients.
With over 15 years’ experience, Dolapo is an avid speaker and thought leader, passionate about increasing energy access in Nigeria and across Africa by leveraging private finance with the use of viable business and project models.
Dolapo enjoys listening to music, singing and playing golf.
Dolapo Kukoyi is recognised for her distinguished experience in the power sector, with sources enthusing that she is “very knowledgeable about Nigeria’s electricity industry and hands-on in energy-related matters.” One interviewee noted that she “takes a practical approach for how businesses should plan ahead.” Her expertise also includes project financings in the infrastructure space.
- Admitted to the Nigerian Bar, 2004
- LLB: University of Ibadan, Nigeria, 2001
- Diploma in Intellectual Property: International Bar Association and College of Law of England and Wales, 2007
- Energy, Infrastructure & Power
- Corporate & Commercial
- Private Equity
Associations & Boards
- Member Board of Trustees, African Women in Energy Development Initiative (AWEDI) Network
- Legal Adviser, Nigeria Gas Association
- Thematic Group Lead, Climate Change NDC and the Green Economy Nigerian Economic Summit Group Sustainability Policy Commission
- Member, Nigerian Bar Association (Section on Business Law)
- Member Executive Committee Ebola Containment Trust Fund
- Member Advisory Board Rescue Technologies Limited
- Non-Executive Director, Arctic Infrastructure
- Member of Advisory Board, Renewable Energy Access Network (REAN)
- Member, Advisory Board Kowry Energy -subsidiary of Rolls Royce
- Advised the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission on the N213 billion Intervention Fund for the Nigeria Electricity Supply Industry.
- Advising Nigeria Energy Support Program (NESP) Phase II on promoting investments in the mini-grid sector in Nigeria by assisting with designing and implementing mini-grid tenders, refining the regulatory framework for mini-grids and unlocking access to finance for mini-grid projects. She is also providing legal backstop advisory to NESP on issues related to electrification planning; sustainable energy access (On-grid and Off-grid); and enabling environment for renewable energy and energy efficiency investments.
- Advised Auxano Solar Nigeria Limited in a major financing from All On Partnerships for Energy Access Limited of up to $1.5 million towards a solar panel assembly plant in Ibeju Lekki, Lagos.
- Advised Kann Utility Company Limited on its Joint Development and Equity Arrangement for raising $121 million financing for acquisition of 60% shares in Abuja Electricity Distribution Company Plc
- Advising LADOL Integrated Logistics on its development of a 24-48MW Gas to Power Plant for the distribution of power within the LADOL Free Zone through an isolated urban Off-Grid Independent Electricity Distribution Network.
- Advised Lagos State Government on the Concession of the Lekki Ikoyi Toll Bridge under an Operation and Maintenance arrangement.